Red Granary - Esken House - Łazienna street 16
Red Granary used to be a palace of a wealthy merchant family from Toruń - the Eskens. Dates from late XIV century, and was rebuilt in the second half of XVI century. Then a splendid sandstone portal and a number of other decorative elements on the side facade of the granary were made, probably by a sculptor from Gdańsk, Wilhelm van den Block. In XIX century, the palace and neighbouring buildings were joined into one large granary. The building owes its name to distinct red colour of the walls, applied in XIX century. Nowadays it hosts a division of the District Museum in Toruń.
In the crossing of the streets: Łazienna and św. Jana a massive building of former jesuit school can be found. It was built in late XVII century by jesuits who were invited to Toruń in 1596. In the Middle Ages, the site was occupied by an Old Town School and probably the future great astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was one of its pupils. In XVII century, the facade of the house was decorated by rich stucco ornaments, typical of the baroque era. In 1724, tragic events called the "Mutiny of Toruń" took place in front of this building. After dissolution of the jesuit order in 1773, the collegium ceased to function and the massive building was taken over by the clergy. After the II partition of Poland (1793) the building became Prussian army barracks. Rich ornaments were removed and decorative motifs of the building were completely changed. During renovation in 1972 the old plaster and classicist embellishes were removed and replaced by new ornaments, which, through window and corner decorations, are to evoke baroque traditions. Nowadays, the building is the seat of a Medical School.
Apartment house - Łazienna street no. 18 & no. 20
Alarge five-axle house with XIX century façade is situated in no. 18. The house was a seat of "The Beehive" (Zum Bienenkorb) Freemasons' Lodge, which was founded in December 1793. The lodge was associated with the Grand National Lodge in Berlin. After the lodge was dissolved in 1937, the building was taken over by st. Johns' parish. It is now the seat of the diocese of Toruń.
No. 20, a neoclassical apartment house from late XIX century. Pope John Paul II rested in this house during his visit to Toruń on 7 June 1999 r. This is why the building is called a "pope's house".
Apartment house - Łazienna street no. 22
It is so far the most beautiful apartment house in Toruń. It is the only or one of few medieval apartment houses with lavish ornamentation on the facade, inside the house and in the courtyard apartments. Distinct original elements can be seen in all rooms and on all floors. The three-axle house has a gothic facade extending to the second floor, with geometrical paintings above window frames and in blind windows. A baroque gable was left during reconstruction, to underline the importance of the legacy of that period, which left significant traces in architecture of Toruń.
Apartment house - Łazienna street no. 26
The origins of this apartment house go deep into the Middle Ages. It has undergone numerous reconstructions to receive the present facade in XIX century. This house boasts a beautiful baroque portal, representing a type different from other portals build in Toruń at that time. It was placed in a rectangular niche and adorned by two angels in ruffled robes with palm leaves in their hands floating above the arch-vault and supporting a crowned coat of arms. A magnificent gate, one of the most beautiful gates in Toruń, carved in oak wood in 1640 was preserved to this day. It was modelled on works of Jan Kramer from Gdańsk. The gate is exhibited in District Museum in the Town Hall.
Apartment house - Łazienna street no. 28
The present-day massive apartment house in Łazienna street no 28 is composed of former two three-axle gothic apartment houses which were joined in XIX century. In early XX century a general reconstruction was carried out, a fourth storey was added and the facade was decorated in so called "historicism" style. Nowadays it is called a "blue angels' house" after the winged angels' heads placed under first floor windows.